Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lessons in nonattachment

Exploring my new city is a source of both inspiration and disappointment, friends. I won't say that the McCoy Tyner Quartet last night at SummerStage was anything short of excellent -- it wasn't -- but I went to it with definite expectations of what the environment would be like. These expectations included: soft, grassy, blanket-oriented seating; open, expansive park vistas; cool, refreshing breezes. What I encountered was a small structure tamed with artificial grass carpet, folding white chairs to which my sticky thighs clung desperately, and a cranky line of hundreds waiting to get in by the time we left after the first set. We had 7th row seats because my very thoughtful husband arrived at 3 pm to stand in line, but if we had both arrived, as I did, at 6:45, we would have been crammed onto the bleachers in the back. This was no verdant paradise.



What we did learn, though, was that just outside the official concert area is a huge, shady, grassy lawn, perfect for the picnic you're NOT allowed to bring inside and the peaceful feeling you want to have. There, fireflies put on a performance to rival the main act, blanket space is abundant, and overpriced vendors are not there to tempt you with underwhelming food. Folks said the sound quality was perfectly acceptable...which is all I'm asking for from a free summer concert.


So with that, dear readers, I'm christening Summer 2010 as the Season of Nonattachment, in which I will try to learn to let go of the expectations I have forced onto our new life here. It's time to accept, in a real way, that New York does not look, feel, smell, behave, or taste like San Francisco. In that spirit, today's offering: free meditation sessions at the Shambhala Meditation Center of New York. They offer weekly drop-in Learn to Meditate classes on Wednesdays and Sundays (donation-based, but I did not pay and did not feel uncomfortable). Weekly Group meditation is free and open to the public Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. If, like me, you're not sure how to let go on your own, try a little guidance. It can't hurt.

p.s. Thanks to Mike for beautiful photos, as always.

1 comment:

  1. Today is definitely a day for letting go. Love your post. Totally calls in the Pema Chodron lessons swimming around in my brain somewhere. But we will miss you this summer @ Stern Grove, per usual.

    ReplyDelete