Thursday, June 17, 2010

You've got a friend...who wants you to see more free music

I had no intentions of posting this one, not because of how early in the morning you must be there, but for a number of other reasons:

1. The Toyota Concert Series? Perhaps more aptly named the "Safety First Concert Series"...or maybe the "View at Your Own Risk Concert Series"?

2. How inclined are you to battle a herd of French 13 year olds on vacation or Midwestern grandmas with frosted hair at 7 am? About as likely as I am? (=not at all. Summer subway travel is perilous enough, especially now that one of my jobs is in Times Square.)

3. Honestly, something about the Today Show just gives me the creeps. Always has.


HOWEVER, when I learned that James Taylor and Carole King will be giving a short free concert tomorrow morning, I decided that I can suspend my judgment for just a day. The duo's Troubadour Reunion tour has been selling out stadiums all over the place, and their voices both still sound amazing. Bonus: on Carole King's website, you can enter a contest to win tickets to the show of your choice (which I probably am silly to tell you, since I want to skew the odds in my own favor, of course. But I can't help. I like you.) (And on that front: when you're down and troubled, and you need a helping hand...visit James Taylor's website and watch his heartbreakingly earnest entreaty to join his email list. You'll hope that he's adopting grandchildren.)

So anyway, the concert starts at 7 am, and they recommend you get there by 6. It's at 49th Street and Rockefeller Plaza. Details on other upcoming shows are here.

5/14 Sting
5/21 The Script
5/28 OneRepublic
6/3 “American Idol” winner and runner-up
6/4 Justin Bieber
6/8 Christina Aguilera
6/11 Rascal Flatts
6/15 Katherine Jenkins & David Foster (in studio)
6/16 Andre Rieu (Plaza)
6/18 James Taylor and Carole King
6/23 Herbie Hancock & India Arie (in studio
6/25 Maxwell
7/2 Maroon 5
7/9 Lady Gaga
7/16 Enrique Iglesias
7/23 John Mayer
7/30 Carrie Underwood
8/6 Train
8/13 Ke$ha
8/20 Keith Urban
8/27 Katy Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment